Office for Mac users can get a beta converter for .docx and .docm files
Microsoft Office Open XML File Format Converter for Mac 0.1b (Beta)
With the Office Open XML Converter, you can convert Office Open XML files to a format that is compatible with Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac and Microsoft Office v. X for Mac. You can choose to convert and open one file, or convert a large number of files.
This version of the Office Open XML Converter can convert the following Office Open XML file formats:
- Word Document (*.docx)
- Word Macro-Enabled Document (*.docm)
These files are converted to Rich Text Format (RTF), which can be opened in Microsoft Word 2004 and Microsoft Word X.
The converter is a Beta release, and might be unable to convert all the data in Office Open XML files. After you convert a file, you should review the file carefully to make sure that it contains all of the information that you expect.
The following issues are known to exist in this Beta release:
- Macros and Visual Basic content are not included in the converted file.
- Charts and SmartArt graphics are converted to pictures.
The following issues might occur in this Beta release:
- Graphics and other objects in the document might appear with a different size.
- Color fills and shading in tables might not be preserved.
- Conversion might not succeed if the document contains a bibliography or citations.
- Conversion might not succeed if the document contains WordArt.
- Document layout and formatting might not be preserved.
- Some Unicode characters might not be preserved.
- Conversion might not succeed if the document contains very large pictures.
- Conversion might not succeed if you use an SMB network volume as the preferred destination for converted files.
- Picture bullets might not be preserved.
- Fonts might be substituted.
The Beta release expires on December 31, 2007.
- Google Docs supports .docx and .xlsx
- Got Windows 7? You can open / save Office 2007 and ODF documents
- Word 2007 document hotfix for the sake of Word 2003 users
- Shameless Office for Mac delays again
- Office 2007 comes to Windows Mobile – at last
- More confessions of a Mac to PC convert
- docx xlsx pptx conversion summary
- Document compatibility – Office 2004 for Mac
- Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 2 released
- Inside Microsoft Office 2008 for Macintosh
- Office 2007 for Mac continues
- ‘Five more years’ of Office for Mac
- Convert .docx for free online
- .docx support has some ways to go
- Get the Office 2007 Compatibity Pack
- Office 2007 document formats explained, part 2
- Office 2007 document formats explained, part 1