How to type the micron/micrometer symbol in Word.
Stuart H has an AutoCorrect suggestion:
” I need to use the symbol μ for micron (1/000 mm) and use mu for this. “
The Micrometre / Micrometer is one-millionth of a meter.
The μ character is the Greek letter ‘mu‘ which is the standard prefix for millionth. It’s the only SI / metric prefix which isn’t on the standard keyboard.
Typing that character is a perfect example of AutoCorrect as useful shortcut.
In Word use the shortcut
Alt + X
Once in a document you can copy it to AutoCorrect and make your own shortcut.
Excel and PowerPoint
use Insert | Symbol
- More characters for Unicode
- AutoCorrect memorable shortcuts
- AutoCorrect for larger blocks of text and more
- Autocorrect tips by degrees
- Quickly adding special characters
- Using AutoCorrect in Office – Part 2
Office Watch has the latest news and tips about Microsoft Office. Independent since 1996. Delivered once a week.