Soon Apple iPhone and iTouch users will be able to edit MS Office documents on a tiny but crisp screen.
When Apple released the latest iPhone with direct support for Microsoft Exchange Server, it left the question of access to other parts of the Office suite.
DataViz has announced that their Documents To Go product will soon be available on this iPhone (and possibly the iTouch as well).
Documents to Go lets you make and edit MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint files on many portable devices including Blackberry, Palm, Symbian plus Windows Mobile.
It makes sense that Dataviz should fill the obvious gap in the IPhone / iTouch range.
The iPhone/iTouch version 2 software can read Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents (2003 and 2007 versions) that are sent to it via email – but there’s no ‘in-built’ way to edit them.
The Apple devices have gorgeously clear screens that are as good as you could hope for in viewing Office documents on a small device. Simple editing will be possible but until external keyboards can be easily added, full scale editing of documents will be a pain.
You can sign up for notification from DataViz when they release the iPhone incarnation of DocumentsToGo.
- Office for iPhone v1.2 secrecy
- Free iWork apps for iPad and iPhone
- Outlook Notes sync to iTouch / iPhone now available
- Zune HD features for Office users
- Palm Pre and Microsoft Office
- Quickoffice Unveils the Industry’s First Editable Office Application for the iPhone
- Thoughts on Office moving to your browser
- iPhone 3G and Microsoft Office
- Google Calendar sync with Outlook
- iBricking and other iPhone strangeness