Windows 7 adds 43 fonts to the set supplied by Windows.
There will be 21 new typefaces in Windows 7, a total of 43 fonts to the set supplied by Windows.
Many of the fonts are for non-English languages like Hindi, Japanese and Arabic.
For Latin and similar alphabets the Windows 7 additions are:
Segoe UI Light
Segoe UI Semibold
The Segoe UI typeface will be familiar to Office 2007 users – Segoe UI in normal, bold, italic and bold italic is supplied with all versions of Microsoft Office 2007.
The new ‘Light’ and ‘Semibold’ fonts have a large range of characters, though not the much fuller set available in Segoe UI (which has many symbols, marks and Arabic characters from the Unicode character set).
Segoe UI Symbol
Segoe UI Symbol has some interesting sets of characters like:
- Chess, Playing card and dice symbols.
- Maths operators
- Box Drawing characters
- Control pictures
- Braille patterns
Microsoft has the full list of 43 fonts added to Windows 7.
- More characters for Unicode
- Showing Language setting in Word
- Nekofont – the cat font
- Windows 7 & Vista God mode
- Windows 7 coming – should Office users bother?
- Avoiding Comic Sans
- Insert the Ghana Cedi character
- Typing Numero and other symbols
- Drop Caps in Word
- Where’s Arial Unicode (MS)?
- Too many fonts installed problem in Word 2002
- “Critical” swastika / Star of David removal update
- Font swastika removal tool is up
- Swastika tempest in a teapot
- ClearType Tuner
- TrueType Christmas Fonts
- Licensing Microsoft fonts
- Sending a complete document – fonts and all
- More on embedding fonts in documents
Office Watch has the latest news and tips about Microsoft Office. Independent since 1996. Delivered once a week.