Excel security patches for July 2017
Excel is main focus of this month’s security patches from Microsoft.
It’s a familiar story, so Microsoft recycles their stock phrases from similar security lapses in the past.
A ‘specially crafted’ document can cause a ‘memory corruption’ in Office. The July 2017 patches fix not one, but two separate design errors in Office.
All supported versions of Excel need the updates, including Office for Mac 2011 & 2016.
- Excel 2016 (32 & 64-bit editions)
- Excel 2013 Service Pack 1 (32 & 64-bit editions)
- Excel 2013 RT Service Pack 1
- Excel 2010 SP2 (32 & 64-bit editions)
- Excel 2007 SP3
- Excel Viewer 2007 Service Pack 3
- Excel Services on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Service Pack 2
- SharePoint Enterprise Server 2013
- Office Online Server 2016
- Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Office 2016 for Mac
Most people will get the updates automatically. If you need more detail, go to https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/eula , search for your product and look for the 11 July 2017 entries.
Other July updates are mostly for Windows, including a critical update for the PDF rendering engine inside Windows.
Office Watch has the latest news and tips about Microsoft Office. Delivered once a week.